Embark on an incredible 17-day self safari in Uganda, a country known for its diverse landscapes, captivating wildlife, and rich cultural heritage. Your adventure begins in Kampala, the vibrant capital city, where you’ll immerse yourself in the local atmosphere, explore historical sites like the Kasubi Tombs and the Uganda Museum, and wander through bustling markets.
From Kampala, you’ll venture northwest to Murchison Falls National Park, a haven of natural wonders. Get ready for exhilarating game drives as you search for the impressive wildlife that roams this area. Take a boat safari along the iconic Nile River, marvel at the power of the Murchison Falls, and hike to the top to witness the breathtaking view.
Next, your journey takes you to Kibale Forest National Park, renowned for its chimpanzee tracking opportunities. With knowledgeable guides leading the way, you’ll venture into the forest, encountering these intelligent primates in their natural habitat. Marvel at their behavior and witness the incredible biodiversity of the surrounding area.
Continue your safari to Queen Elizabeth National Park, a true gem of Uganda. Embark on game drives through the park’s varied landscapes, spotting elephants, lions, buffaloes, and hippos. Glide along the Kazinga Channel during a boat safari, observing the abundant birdlife and enjoying the picturesque scenery.
Prepare for an awe-inspiring experience as you travel to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, a UNESCO World Heritage site and home to the endangered mountain gorillas. Trek through the dense forest, guided by expert trackers, and encounter these gentle giants up close—an encounter that will undoubtedly leave an indelible mark on your heart.
Following your unforgettable gorilla trek, find tranquility at Lake Bunyonyi, often referred to as the “Switzerland of Africa.” Let the serene beauty of the lake and its surrounding hills mesmerize you as you unwind. Take leisurely boat rides, explore the islands dotting the lake, or venture on hikes to fully immerse yourself in this idyllic setting.
The next leg of your safari takes you to Lake Mburo National Park, where you’ll discover a different facet of Uganda’s wildlife. Spot zebras and impalas during a game drive, or opt for a horseback riding adventure for a unique perspective on the park’s landscapes and inhabitants.
Conclude your safari in Jinja, the adventure capital of Uganda. Brace yourself for an adrenaline-filled experience as you tackle white-water rafting on the mighty Nile River. Cruise along the river to witness the source of the Nile and marvel at its historical significance.
With memories of incredible wildlife encounters, breathtaking landscapes, and immersive cultural experiences, bid farewell to Uganda, having experienced the best of what this enchanting country has to offer.
17 Days Self Drive Uganda Safari Itinerary Summary
Day 1: Arrival in Kampala
- Arrive in Kampala, Uganda’s capital city.
- Explore the city, visit historical sites like the Kasubi Tombs and the Uganda Museum.
- Experience the vibrant local markets.
Day 2-3: Murchison Falls National Park
- Head northwest to Murchison Falls National Park.
- Enjoy game drives to spot wildlife.
- Take a boat safari along the Nile River.
- Hike to the top of the impressive Murchison Falls.
Day 4-5: Kibale Forest National Park
- Proceed to Kibale Forest National Park.
- Embark on guided chimpanzee tracking treks.
- Explore the forest and observe other primate species.
Day 6-7: Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Continue your journey to Queen Elizabeth National Park.
- Take game drives to see diverse wildlife.
- Enjoy boat safaris on the Kazinga Channel.
- Keep an eye out for elephants, lions, buffaloes, and hippos.
Day 8-10: Bwindi Impenetrable Forest
- Travel to Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.
- Trek through the forest to encounter mountain gorillas.
- Spend a day with these magnificent creatures.
Day 11-13: Lake Bunyonyi
- Relax at Lake Bunyonyi, known as the “Switzerland of Africa.”
- Enjoy the beautiful scenery and tranquility.
- Take a boat ride or go hiking around the lake’s islands.
Day 14-15: Lake Mburo National Park
- Head southeast to Lake Mburo National Park.
- Take a game drive to spot zebras and impalas.
- Go horseback riding for a different perspective.
Day 16-17: Jinja
- Finish your safari with a visit to Jinja, the adventure capital of Uganda.
- Experience white-water rafting on the Nile River.
- Go for a boat cruise to see the source of the Nile.
- Depart from Jinja.