Uganda Self-Drive Itinerary
Embark on a thrilling 13-day self-drive safari adventure through the diverse landscapes and magnificent wildlife of Uganda. From the enchanting Murchison Falls National Park to the misty forests of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, this itinerary takes you on an unforgettable journey. Encounter lions, elephants, giraffes, chimpanzees, and iconic mountain gorillas in their natural habitats.
Explore the scenic waterways of the Nile River and the Kazinga Channel, and relax by the tranquil shores of Lake Bunyonyi. With game drives, boat safaris, and immersive nature walks, this itinerary offers a perfect blend of wildlife encounters and natural beauty, providing you with an authentic and awe-inspiring safari experience in the heart of Uganda.
13 Days Uganda Self-drive Itinerary Summary
Day 1: Arrival in Entebbe
- Upon arrival at Entebbe International Airport, complete the immigration and customs procedures.
- Afterward, you will be transferred to your hotel in Entebbe or nearby Kampala.
- Take some time to rest and recover from your journey.
Day 2: Entebbe to Murchison Falls National Park
- Start your adventure by picking up your rental car in Entebbe.
- Begin your drive to Murchison Falls National Park, located in northwestern Uganda.
- The journey takes approximately 5-6 hours, allowing for scenic views of the countryside and small villages.
- Arrive at the park and check in at your lodge.
- In the afternoon, embark on an exciting game drive, exploring the savannah plains and searching for wildlife such as lions, elephants, giraffes, antelopes, and more.
- After the game drive, return to your lodge and enjoy a relaxing evening.
Day 3: Murchison Falls National Park
- Wake up early for a morning game drive, as it is the best time to spot wildlife when they are most active.
- Explore different areas of the park and encounter a variety of animals in their natural habitats.
- After the game drive, return to the lodge for breakfast and some leisure time.
- In the afternoon, experience a boat safari on the Nile River to the base of Murchison Falls, a breathtaking waterfall where the Nile forces its way through a narrow gorge.
- Observe hippos, crocodiles, buffaloes, and a wide array of bird species during the boat cruise.
- Afterward, return to your lodge and enjoy dinner.
Day 4: Murchison Falls National Park to Kibale Forest National Park
- Depart from Murchison Falls National Park and drive south to Kibale Forest National Park, a journey of approximately 6-7 hours.
- The drive offers beautiful scenery and a chance to observe the rural life of Uganda.
- Arrive at Kibale Forest National Park and check in at your lodge.
- Spend the rest of the day at your leisure, relaxing and preparing for the upcoming chimpanzee trekking experience.
Day 5: Chimpanzee Trekking in Kibale Forest
- Wake up early and head to the park’s visitor center for a briefing about chimpanzee trekking guidelines.
- Embark on a thrilling chimpanzee trek into the dense forest, guided by experienced trackers.
- Encounter these fascinating primates in their natural habitat and observe their behavior.
- Kibale Forest is also home to other primate species, so keep an eye out for red colobus monkeys, grey-cheeked mangabeys, and various bird species.
- After the trek, return to your lodge and enjoy the evening at your leisure.
Day 6: Kibale Forest National Park to Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Depart from Kibale Forest and drive to Queen Elizabeth National Park, known for its diverse ecosystems and abundant wildlife.
- The drive takes approximately 3-4 hours, allowing time for scenic stops along the way.
- Arrive at your lodge in Queen Elizabeth National Park and check-in.
- In the evening, embark on a game drive to explore the park’s savannah plains, searching for elephants, buffaloes, tree-climbing lions, and other wildlife.
- Return to the lodge for dinner and overnight stay.
Day 7: Queen Elizabeth National Park
- Start the day with an early morning game drive to maximize your chances of spotting wildlife.
- Explore different areas of the park, including the Kasenyi plains and Ishasha sector, known for its tree-climbing lions.
- After the game drive, return to the lodge for breakfast and some relaxation time.
- In the afternoon, enjoy a boat cruise on the Kazinga Channel, a natural waterway connecting Lake Edward and Lake George.
- Witness the largest concentration of hippos in Africa, as well as crocodiles, elephants, and numerous bird species.
- After the boat cruise, return to your lodge and enjoy a peaceful evening.
Day 8: Queen Elizabeth National Park to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
- Leave Queen Elizabeth National Park and drive to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, home to the endangered mountain gorillas.
- The drive takes approximately 4-5 hours, offering scenic views of the Rwenzori Mountains and the rolling hills of southwestern Uganda.
- Arrive at Bwindi Impenetrable National Park and check in at your lodge.
- Rest and prepare for the next day’s gorilla trekking adventure.
- Spend the evening enjoying the tranquility of the forest surroundings.
Day 9: Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest
- Wake up early and head to the park’s visitor center for a briefing on gorilla trekking guidelines.
- Embark on an unforgettable gorilla trekking experience, led by experienced guides and trackers.
- Trek through the dense forest in search of a gorilla family.
- Once you find them, spend a magical hour observing and photographing these gentle giants in their natural habitat.
- After the trek, return to your lodge and savor the memories of this incredible encounter.
Day 10: Bwindi Impenetrable National Park to Lake Bunyonyi
- Depart from Bwindi Impenetrable National Park and drive to Lake Bunyonyi, often referred to as the “Switzerland of Africa” due to its scenic beauty.
- The drive takes approximately 2-3 hours, offering panoramic views of terraced hills and the tranquil lake.
- Arrive at Lake Bunyonyi and check in at your lodge, located on one of the islands or the lakeshore.
- Enjoy the rest of the day at your leisure, indulging in activities such as canoeing, swimming, hiking, or visiting the local communities.
Day 11: Lake Bunyonyi to Lake Mburo National Park
- Leave Lake Bunyonyi and drive to Lake Mburo National Park, known for its diverse wildlife and beautiful landscapes.
- The drive takes approximately 4-5 hours, allowing for scenic stops and a lunch break.
- Arrive at Lake Mburo National Park and check-in at your lodge.
- In the afternoon, enjoy a boat safari on Lake Mburo, observing hippos, crocodiles, and a variety of bird species.
- Return to your lodge for dinner and an overnight stay.
Day 12: Lake Mburo National Park
- Start the day with a morning game drive, exploring the park’s savannah plains and acacia woodlands.
- Spot zebras, impalas, elands, buffaloes, and various bird species.
- After the game drive, return to your lodge for breakfast and some relaxation time.
- In the afternoon, go for a guided nature walk or a horseback riding safari, allowing you to experience the park’s diverse ecosystem up close.
- Alternatively, you can choose to simply relax at the lodge and enjoy the surrounding nature.
Day 13: Lake Mburo National Park to Entebbe
- Leave Lake Mburo National Park and drive back to Entebbe, which takes approximately 4-5 hours.
- Return your rental car at the designated location in Entebbe.
- If time permits, you may visit the Entebbe Botanical Gardens or the Uganda Wildlife Education Centre.
- Later, head to Entebbe International Airport to catch your flight back home, marking the end of your memorable Ugandan safari.